Last night I had a some friends round for an Asia inspired dinner (my favourite cuisine to cook!) I wanted to try something new and having recently discovered Coconut Sambal I thought I would play around and see what I could come up with! This recipe got a big thumbs up from my friends so I thought I would share it with you all as it is super easy.
Serves around 6 as a side dish.
200g Dessicated Coconut (fresh coconut works too if it is available)
1 Red Onion
2cm Finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp Chilli powder
6 tbsp tinned chopped tomatoes (fresh work great too)
- Soak desiccated coconut in water for 5 minutes and then drain excess water
- Finely chop onion and ginger and add to a mixing bowl
- Add chilli powder, paprika and tomatoes and mixed together
- Fry the desiccated coconut on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes
- Mix in the other ingredients to the coconut until cooked thoroughly
- Squeeze a fresh lemon and season to taste
- Serve as a beautiful Sri Lanka inspired side dish
I served this with Red Thai Curry which may seem a little odd but it was lovely! I will be uploading my Thai Curry recipe soon too as it my favourite dishes to make with fish or chicken and lots of veggies.